We’re currently reviewing applications. Successful candidates will be contacted by early/mid March 2017.
- Candidates must have a Ph.D. in the humanities or humanistic social sciences (as defined under “Eligibility”) to be considered for the fellowship.
- The dates for completion of the Ph.D. degree are strictly observed, with no exceptions. “Date of completion” is defined as the day the applicant officially fulfills all requirements for the Ph.D. degree according to the guidelines of their institution.
- Citizens from any country are eligible for this fellowship.
- Candidates with a Ph.D. granted by an institution outside the U.S. are eligible to apply
- Scholars who have held or currently hold terminal postdoctoral positions are eligible to apply.
- Scholars who have received a Ph.D. from the University of Southern California are not eligible to apply.
- Scholars who are permanently employed in full-time, tenure-track positions are not eligible to apply.
- Candidates who applied previously and wish to be considered again must submit a new application.
- We can only consider applications submitted online through the application portal. Please do not submit any materials by email, fax, or mail.
- There is no application fee.
- It is not necessary to send a transcript of graduate courses or grades.
- We can only consider writing samples in English.
- The research proposal should focus on advancing the applicant’s scholarly profile and prospects for employment. It may relate to a dissertation or outline a new project.
- Applicants may select a host department in a field other than the one in which they earned their Ph.D. if they wish, in which case they should address this choice in their cover letter.
- Application materials will not be accepted after the deadline.
- Please note that recommendation letters must be received by the deadline, Friday, December 9th, noon PST. The system will only generate automatic emails to recommenders requesting their letters once the final application is submitted. For that reason, we suggest that applicants notify each of their recommenders of the need for a letter well in advance of the deadline, and that they complete the application in advance of the deadline to allow for the letters to be received in time.
- Applicants may track whether individual recommendation letters have been submitted through the application portal.
- Only three recommendation letters are required and will be accepted.
- Applicants may use a dossier service (such as Interfolio) to submit recommendation letters.
- Once submitted, applications may not be updated to reflect new publications, awards, or any other information.
- If an applicant wishes to withdraw their application from consideration, we appreciate being contacted over email.
Evaluation of Applications
- Applications are reviewed by faculty in the host academic departments and in the Society.
- Interviews are not part of the evaluation process.
Notification of Applicants
- Applicants will receive an automated confirmation email upon submission of a completed application.
- Please include your postal and electronic addresses. If either changes after you first submit the application, please alert us by email.
- Successful applicants will be notified in writing by the end of March at the latest.
- All dossier materials and the selection committee’s evaluations remain confidential. The committee is not able to provide feedback on individual applications.
- The goal of the teaching component is to strengthen the Postdoctoral Fellow’s teaching portfolio and professional development.
- Postdoctoral Fellows teach three courses over four semesters, distributed as one course per semester for three semesters and one semester for full-time research.
- The choice of specific course topics and levels is made by the Postdoctoral Fellow in consultation with the chair of their host department, their faculty mentors, and the Society’s Director.
- There is no formal requirement as to when the research semester is taken.
- Courses are regularly at the undergraduate level.
If you have questions that are not addressed above, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.